Thursday 10 March 2016

Resonance’s correspondence

Mid Winter’s tale on Resonance: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/clear-spot-the-lizardz-vox-15th-january-2016/ (following a dispute with Resonance, the station has deleted my show today 4 April 2016 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2227357663/permalink/10154164716167664/?comment_id=10154172450897664&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1459683826426757)

 You can listen to that show here = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzZcrJczK8

End of January, Ed Baxter (Resonance 104.4fm’s boss) gives me a green light for a sitting with maverick experimental film maker Jack Bond on 10 March. I meet Jack in his local pub late Jan and we discuss topics we can cover. I send him an email a few days later to confirm our “speech agreement” on air. (In case of cancellation, I have different plan Bs including David Tovey)
8 Feb, I pick up a recording device to do vox pops on a specific topic (planned for October 2016 – Ed has asked me to make a proposal on a series for Resonance).
15 Feb, Jack cancels due to filming and travelling. By then, my music listing was pretty sorted. I go to Resonance to give back the device to Sarah and ask if I could replace Jack by David Tovey (met a few days before) as to give a voice to homelessness. In Ed’s absence, Sarah agrees. I write to David: “Hi David,
Nice meeting you... and I'm very happy you are up for the radio show.
Sorry for writing so "late" but I didn't want to send too many emails.
Today, I went to Resonance 104.4fm and they accepted you coming on 10 March if still ok with you?
It's a live show between 8 and 9pm and ideally, you should arrive at 7.30pm.

The address is:
140-148 Borough High Street (rear of Wilcox House), don't go up the stairs, on the side (street level), there are 3 buzzers, the shiny and singled one is Resonance FM, by the gate...

There is a no drinking-no food-no swearing policy in the studio where we'll chat live.

If ok with you (but please feel free to suggest), we'll chat about you until you became homeless - then about the reasons (briefly?) on why people become homeless and who are the most "targetted" as well as that bloody law that nobody mentions...
How the public can interact with homeless people - How they play an important part of our society and should be treated as people with bones and skin as opposed to vermin.
Then, fashion with Vivienne Westwood, Yves Saint Laurent, Frederic Gallaino and Alex McQueen... drifting softly to your fashion and how you are recuperating.

Please add anything

In between talk, I'll play a few tracks including The Microdance.

The last 10 minutes should be dedicated to what's on in London and a last song which would happen to be Autrenoir as mentioned. I can't send you my links as they are private...
Also, I'm happy to mention the march for Homes... as well as the march for the homeless...

I think that's it, but again feel free to ask away, to suggest etc...

Resonance never invited David for a show! 
I did as LizardzVox (aka Sybille Castelain)...
using my personal email to invite him!

24 Feb, I email Ed to touch base on the series proposal I transmitted adding more topics and ask if we could talk about it. He replied: “Dear Sybille, ... I am happy to discuss proposed broadcasts once you have returned our recording device and let me know how it went with Jack Bond. I may as well be frank and tell you we had a phone call complaining that you had been intrusively rude to him, which does not bode particularly well. Yours Ed
I ask to be more specific on my rudeness and offer a proof of me bringing back the device. “Don't take offence. Henry Scott-Irvine, long term programme maker, phoned to say Jack was offended. Has the show been completed? Or was he problematic? Excuse haste...
I reply: “No worries about haste. Please answer back when you have time. Sorry this is a long email! But yes, it is offending. ... I was hoping to do sthg with Resonance and not only I can't do it, but am accused of nicking some materials. You might agree that it is a bit much!” I copied-pasted elements of my email to Jack and Jack's reply to me to show there was no rudeness or at least not to my view on rudeness.
Ed: “Dear Sybille, ... Sarah is wrong about 10 March: it is not a moveable feast and Sarah does not book the Clear Spots, I do. Fine re recording device - my error. Apologies. Fine re Bond - Henry being malicious perhaps. A brief clarification is all that is needed. Yours
Me: “Hi Ed, ... I still hope we can meet to talk. Please let me know in your own time about 10 March. My guest has booked the slot for Resonance - he is himself quite sick but excited to talk about homelessness....I hope all will be good for you. Take care and no rush in responding

After emailing Henry Scott-Irvine asking him 
if he knew anything about my rudeness 
to Jack Bond, I took the opportunity to ask him more openly...
Still no replies (mid March 2016)

Early March, I decide to meet David and reveal that the show is on hold due to me having been reported “intrusively rude” and nicking some device. I also tell him his friend from MicroDance (MD) didn’t send any CD and I wouldn’t play it. My listing was sorted (on our first meeting, I told David I was going to play music in between talks with a guest and I had already received a few CDs or links like Autrenoir for my 10 March's slot. He simply mentioned to check his friends MD). 


Note sample from my first meeting 
with David Tovey early Feb 2016. 
He wrote the name of a band (Microdance) 
he liked and wanted me to check

He obviously was hoping for the show to happen but wouldn’t make a fuss if it didn’t.
I suggest also (if Resonance sorted out their mess) to propose David as a regular appearance in my series, so there would be an ongoing social awareness embedded into my contemporary art programmes with guests. We talked about Ben Eine as I met him the week before.
So determined to have this show and talk loud on homelessness + many record companies had sent their stuff (it’s not like musicians are having great income, so if they can have an extra push), I re-contacted the boss “Hi Ed, Yesterday I saw David Tovey. I explained there was no guarantee of the show. He said he'd love to do it and has already promoted his passage on Resonance on FB. But he said if it's not happening, it's not. On my part I have received CDs to play. Can you tell me please where we are?” –
I was given the green light and wrote straight away to David with a subject matter reading “10 march confirmed (again) :)))”: “Good Morning David, I am so fucking pleased to tell you that you are highly welcome at Resonance on 10 March - 8 to 9pm :)))))))))))))))))) It's just making my day - a hard won battle after a much ado about nothing from gossipers... Thx for showing me your work yesterday and sorry if i don't jump all over the place, but you have a real talent :)... xx to you...”
I then was active to have Ben Eine as a surprise guest when I knew he had projects with homeless people. A huge correspondence with his team... big work from all of us... (then again Resonance cancelled three times the phone booking...) for a surprise to David Tovey.

Then 8 March, things went bad - Yeah the day of Women's rights:
David: “Afternoon, Sorry I forgot to mention the other day that I'd picked up the hard copy cd from Alex of the Microdance! I'm thinking that track 3 would be the best to play as it says about all my plight! But also they have just announced that they will be Playing the Macbeth in Hoxton on the 25th March and all door proceeds are being donated to the Pilion trust the charity who helped save my life!
So if poss I'd really like to mention this on Thursday!...

To myself: So we met last week, I talked about not playing MD, but he had a CD to give me? - Anybody seeing the MD's gig on 25 March?

Me: “Hey, You can talk about it but music wise I'm really full :( I've had to drop some tracks :(
Bring it just in case but I can't promise to play it, sorry - Have a good meeting, XX”

David: “I would really like to play it as it was one of the only requests I had, so please I would really appreciate it if we could! Its just the guys in Microdance have been supporting and promoting me a lot! He even took me to talk about my story instead of the Microdance to one of they're Radio shows! If you can squeeze them in it would make my day! Thanks again X

Me (I’m just really busy, I’m on another project off Resonance): “David, I made a request over a month ago and didnt get the CD. I'm really full. Why hasn't he sent it to me? At the same time, I'm going thru just so many things... pressure all over the place”... “Look David, I really don't feel good about the whole thing. I respected your wish initially and it actually took me some time to find who to contact to get thru MD. When I did, I contacted them straight away on the day I told you you would be my guest. I believe I did the best I could do to satisfy you. When I saw you the other day, I did apologise for insisting to Alex about his forthcoming gig. You had a chance to give me the CD if you had it. Perhaps , Alex gave it to you on the night of his gig? Do you want to cancel the 10 and we'll do it another time? Sorry, I really haven't got a good time in my life and feel something wrong in here as well as having to feel guilty if I don't play it. Very awkward and I am now super unfomfortab;”

At that stage, I contacted Ed to let him know the show might be cancelled. I’m a volunteer working on a one off project that seems to be taking my whole time...

David: “Hold on theres no need to get angry, if we can’t play it then thats ok but you did ask me on Friday to have a chat with Alex, so i did, i picked up the Disc yesterday... I dont understand why your getting all worked up about it. I do totally understand if you can’t play it. but saying to me that its all last minute and it uncomfortable is very strange, i could understand if it was an hour before the show but its not. its 3 days, so i don’t see there being a problem. You did ask me to talk to him.. If you want to cancel the show then thats your call,”

Me: “I'm explaining something to you. Not angry! to me it's last minute, sorry if we have different meaning of what's last minute. That's mine, i do prepare the show; i have received 20 CDs to listen to and that's what i explained so you wouldn't insist. please do not impose your meaning of time as i am the one putting things together :))) Alex told me twice he would send me the CD and didn't; I didn't ask you to give it to me = i said I didn't receive it and i was already too full now. After our meeting, i actually sent an email to Alex explaining I was not going to be able to play his record as it was already too late to change my selection. am "getting all worked out" as you say because (on repeat) 1) i have so many unpleasant things happening 2) i have a lot of pressure by many other things - if you can't understand, then sorry - please let me know if you understand my point better”

David to me and Resonance: “So firstly i find your response extremely rude. ON our first meeting i asked for one request which you agreed too: email dated 15 February, that you would play The Microdance, Today is the first time its been said that they would not be played, this i found out from Alex himself. So I’ve been invited to be on your show with the false promise of having my request played, I’m expected to give up my evening to be on your show and your not willing to play my song. I’m sorry but thats not on. Im the guest so surly my requests should come before someone else who just happened to send you a cd. You did ask me to speak to Alex and i said i would. I don’t understand why your now trying to defend this, and trying to make me look as if I’m lying which I’m not.
Im sorry I’m disgusted with how you’ve handled this matter.  You’ve made me feel extremely uncomfortable and also angry that you were willing to use my credibility to Gain grounds within your show. I’m in shock. I believe in loyalty and the Microdance and Alex have done so much to help me get back on my feet, they are continually raising money for the homeless and all i asked was for they’re song to be played whilst i was on the show. But no that seems to much to ask for. Well I’m sorry but I’m not willing to be on your show if this is how you treat your guests. So I’m cancelling.”

Me to David, Bcc to Ed: “David, On 15 Feb when I was confirmed you could be my guest, i wrote : "In between talk, I'll play a few tracks including The Microdance."

1) I didn't use you to gain grounds as previously my other guest was going to be Jack Bond and I had already received CDs; When I found MD contact (which I researched) I contacted them on 15 Feb late at night. They replied 2 weeks after. On two occasions, Alex said he was going to send a CD which he didn't. Sorry, but with the amount of CDs I received, I decided to play what I had.

2) When I saw you last week, I explained to you that due to me having been reported as "intrusively rude" to Jack, the show was not going to remain. I explained also I still hadn't received any CD from Alex and that I was full with CDs. I didn't know MD had helped you! Alex said you lived together in 2009. I am not saying you are lying. I din't even think you were lying. I thought you might have forgotten. When we met, you said they were very good friends of you.

3) Shows @ Resonance, when there are guests, there is music in between. As I explained to you, I wanted to use the latest music releases in order to attract attention to your cause. To open widely the issue, your issue. I'm really sorry if you feel you have been used.

4) I did say you could talk about MD and mention whatever you wanted but because I had made my plans, I couldn't let down people who had sent me CDs.

5) I don't understand why you pressurised intensely today to play MD when I couldn't; Why you finally said it was ok not to play them and why you are so upset now that it can't be played.

Please, bear in mind that I have many other things in my life happening. Resonance is a one off project. We are volunteers at the station. I have spent a whole afternoon having to negotiate something 2 days before the show when it was all sorted with you last week in case the show was happening.

Alex, just wrote at this very instant to apologise about everything. So, I'm left wondering what's this all about? I have nothing against Alex, I just had to prioritise things - I hope you get sorted.”



I actually had no idea MD were active on his cause. TBH, I’m no fan on their music but if I had known and if they had sent their CD, I would have played it. So, after thinking into my upsetting state, I contacted MD to be my guest instead. He was involved about homelessness, knew his topic, we’ll talk less and play his music. 10 minutes later, Ed Baxter replied instead:
Dear Sybille, Let us consider the show well and truly cancelled. I cannot work like this. I will not work like this. I do not have the time. Please do not bother us again. I'm not interested in this kind of tangled nonsense. I will write to David separately” ... “Der Sybille, Sorry, but this is not the way we work, want to work, or will countenance you working in our name.
You tell your guest you are a representative of Resonance then, as indicated in your own frankly disjointed correspondence, antagonise your putative guest, trade profanities with him and clearly annoy him. That is not the way to behave: I would thought that was obvious. We want no part of it. Not only does it not result in anything resembling an interesting broadcast, you seem to have managed to distress him as well. I simply do not understand it.
The programme on Thursday 10 March is cancelled.
That is my final word on the matter. I am not spending any more time on this nonsense.
Please do not waste any more of our time. Yours”

Me to Ed: “I have not said I was a representative of Resonance but I was on a one off project and a volunteer! I am also distressed by all these insinuations and you don't seem to take no notice.
As LizardzVox, I swear, he knows it. I am not swearing in your name!
What he has done is called tantrum, but nice of you to support this kind of behaviour, just like Henry Scott-Irvine telling you I've been intrusively rude... but That's ok, he is been your friend for long.
Sorry, you don't make sense either”

Funny how you want to support someone who has been suicidal and how that person is driving you to it... If I had the strength, I would make a prog on how volunteers get abused. Volunteers have rights too... don't they? Or do bosses like Ed Baxter take advantages?


When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.
Bette Davis


No comments:

Post a Comment